Friday, July 31, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!

No, don't worry, you didn't forget my birthday. But I do accept gifts at any time of the year:)
When I was younger and my parents would ask me what I wanted for dessert for my birthday, my answer was pretty much always berry pie, or berry crisp, basically anything with berries and a crust. And specifically blackberries. I love it and heart it and want to hug it and squeeze it. I love the tart berries with the salty/sweet crust/crumble. I also love back slashes as you can see ////:)
There are some thornless blackberries growing in our backyard so I've been taking full advantage of this little gift since usually the regular blackberries that grow around here don't start popping up till late August. As a result I've made a couple crisps. And crisps only cause it's faster and easier than a pie dough and these days that's just what works for me. This recipe is for a triple berry crisp which is what I did origionally but works just as well for a single berry, or any kind of fruit you have.

Triple Berry Crisp
www.allrecipies.com


INGREDIENTS
  • 1 1/2 cups blackberries
  • 1 1/2 cups blueberries
  • 1 1/2 cups raspberries
  • 4 T white sugar
  • 2 C flour
  • 2 C rolled oats
  • 1 1/2 C brown sugar
  • 1 t ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 t ground nutmeg
  • 1 1/2 C butter

DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. In a large bowl toss together berries and sugar. Set aside.
  3. In another bowl mix together flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cut in butter until crumbly. Press half the mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 pan, cover with berries and then cover with the rest of the crumble mixture.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 30 - 40 minutes or until bubbly.

One thing that makes it easier is melting the butter and pouring it over the crisp mixture instead of cutting it in. The double layer of "crisp" is why I like this recipe. Can't have too much crisp. I like to say crisp and use /////:)

1 comment:

  1. You make me hungry. Don't ever make me eat your food AGAIN because I eat too much!!!!! Okay, that's a lie...

    ReplyDelete