Sunday, February 13, 2011

Tangerine Lemon Curd

So . . . it's been a long time! How have all 4 of you been?:) I've been feeling a lot of blog guilt lately. I still LOVE to eat and still LOVE to cook, I just can't seem to sit down long enough to transfer all my profound thoughts (what? you know it's true) and pictures to the computer. But I've decided to just put the guilt aside and do it when I can make the time for it. So, here I am on a Sunday night, watching The Holiday and blogging about some seriously delicious curd. Ew curd is a gross word. But it tastes anything but gross! I had a big bowl of meyer lemons on my counter and wanted to make something with them. I thought it would be fun to make scones and lemon curd and have a little Saturday afternoon tea party with Ashley. I did a quick foodgawker search and didn't find anything I loved. I somehow ended up on Joy the Baker's site and saw a recipe for tangerine lemon curd. That just sounded too awesome to pass up. I also happened to have a bag of "cutie" oranges so I just used those. Serve this with scones and lightly whipped cream, stir into greek yogurt topped with granola (soooo good!), or use as a filling for a cake. OR eat straight from the jar. Don't laugh - you'll do it and you'll like it.

Tangerine Lemon Curd

slightly adapted from Joy the Baker

makes about 3/4 cup

2 large egg yolks

1 large egg

5 tablespoons granulated sugar

1 teaspoon tangerine zest and 1 teaspoon lemon zest

1/4 cup tangerine juice

3 tablespoons lemon juice

4 tablespoons butter

pinch of salt

Combine sugar and tangerine and lemon zest on a clean cutting board. With the back of a spoon or knife, rub the zest into the sugar until the sugar is very fragrant and slightly orange in color.

In a medium saucepan over medium low heat, whisk together egg yolks, egg, tangerine/lemon sugar, juices, butter and salt. Whisk over the heat until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. This takes about 5 minutes. The mixture will begin to smell just like citrus curd.

Remove from heat and pass through a fine mesh strainer (this removes any little bits of egg that may have cooked) into a medium bowl. Transfer to a small jar or airtight container and refrigerate until cool and thicker in texture. Curd will last, refrigerated, for about a week.

1 comment: